My 4 year old is what I call a pasta head. He could eat pasta at every meal if I would let him. So of course, Asian noodles or chow mein is a form of pasta so this recipe is 4 year old approved.
I usually make this dish with chicken as a protein but today, I used beef instead. I have also made these delicious noodles with shrimp too. Get creative – choose a protein or a combination. I guarantee no matter what – you will love my Asian Noodle dish.
What you need:
- 1 package of chow mein noodles (you can get at the grocery story. I look for the ones that take 3 minutes to cook in boiling water). From this package – you will need 4 bunches of noodles.
- 3/4 of a pound of thinly sliced beef (fry steak is the best)
- 2-3 carrots – you can chop or thinly slice
- 2 peppers – go for color. Again you can chop or thinly slice
- one package of sliced mushrooms
- 4 stems of green onion – chopped or sliced
- Optional: add brocoli, celery or any other vegetable
- 1 minced garlic clove or one teaspoon of pre-made garlic from a jar
- Low sodium soy sauce
- Teriyaki sauce
- Hoisin sauce
- Optional: Hot sauce or chili sauce
What you do:
Add a splash of vegetable oil to a medium saucepan and heat on medium. Add garlic and fry for a minute. Add fry steak and cook with a splash of Teriyaki sauce. Once cooked, set aside fry steak. Clean the saucepan or wok which will be used to prepare the noodles/chow mein.
Add your noodles to a large pot. Boil a kettle of water and pour boiling water over the noodles to cover. Let it sit.
In another medium saucepan or wok, add a little bit of vegetable oil. Cook the carrots, peppers and mushrooms together with a splash of Teriyaki sauce.
Take a fork and separate the noodles in the pot. Drain the noodles. At the same time that the vegetables are cooking on low to medium, use the same saucepan that you used to cook the beef (now clean), add a couple drops of low-sodium soy sauce. Turn the heat to medium. Add the drain noodles. Let the noodles cook for a couple minutes and toss.
Remove the noodles from the heat and add to the other saucepan with the vegetable mixture. Add Teriyaki sauce, soy sauce and hoisin sauce. Taste while you season. Add chili or hot sauce if desired. Mix in the green onions. Let simmer for about 2 minutes with the lid on.
Mission complete. Delicious and easy chow mein noodles loved by the whole family!