Shepherd’s Pie is my husband’s favourite meal. In fact, it was a non-negotiable that I learn how to make it and make it well according to Suburban Daddy.
I thought I would share the recipe for all the other meat-a-tarian husbands out there. I love it because I have made my own dairy free and delicious version. Kids love it too – enjoy!
What You Need:
– 8-10 Large yellow potatoes (peeled and quartered)
– 3-4 tablespoons of dairy-free margarine or butter
– 1/2 cup of milk (I used cashew milk)
– 1 package of lean ground beef
– A cup of frozen vegetables (peas and carrots work well)
– 1 medium onion diced
– 2-3 tablespoons of Worchestershire sauce
– A splash of vegetable oil
– Salt & pepper to taste
– A pinch of chili powder
– A cup of beef broth (I used chicken broth today and it worked well) – this is to keep the pie moist
What You Do:
Boil the potatoes so that they are soft and set aside. In a medium saucepan, add vegetable oil and heat to medium. Add the onions and let them sweat for a couple of minutes. Then add the meat and let it brown for about 2 minutes. Add the frozen vegetables. Stir.
Cover the mixture with a lid and let cook for a couple more minutes on low. Add the Worchestershire sauce and salt and pepper. Stir again. Now add the beef broth. Mix the ingredients all together. Make sure that the meat has browned.
Turn off the stove. Turn on the oven to 350°.
Now, take your potatoes, drain them, add the margarine, milk and salt and pepper to taste. Use a potato masher to make mashed potatoes.
Take a Pyrex dish and spoon in the meat layer so it is evenly spread.
Add the mash potatoes as the top layer with a spoon and again spread evenly so it covers the meat mixture.
Now take a fork and press down so that you make fork imprints all over the top layer.
Cook for about 20-25 minutes. Set the oven to broil for about 3 minutes so that the mash potatoes brown.
Serve with ketchup (that’s mandatory in our house)…lol